The governance structure of CILIP in Scotland comprises a Council drawn from the wider membership and one standing committee, drawn from Council membership. The Chair of Council and Honorary Treasurer are elected by Council annually.
The Director of CILIPS is responsible for advising and assisting Council and its standing committee with the formulation and execution of CILIP policy as it relates to CILIP in Scotland. The Chief Executive of CILIP, acts as the liaison officer to CILIP in Scotland and attends Council meetings as an observer. CILIPS Council meetings are open to all CILIPS members. However, only elected members are entitled to vote.
For more information about CILIPS' governance procedures, please see the rules and regulations.
Council meets 3 times each year and is constituted as follows:
- Twelve individuals elected from membership serving on a 3 year cycle
- Branch representatives
- Representatives of CILIP Special Interest Groups active in Scotland
- Honorary Officers of CILIPS
- Trustees of CILIP in Scotland as notified to OSCR (i.e. all members of the Policy and Resources Committee)
Full details of current members of Council can be found in the column to the right.
Policy and Resources Committee
Members of Policy and Resources Committee are also charity trustees for CILIP in Scotland and have additional duties and responsibilities as laid out by the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR). The Chair of Policy and Resources Committee is the Senior Vice-President, Alan Reid.
The Committee has a remit to:
- formulate and keep under review the general policy of CILIP in Scotland;
- co-ordinate policy issues referred to it;
- undertake responsibility for the financial management of CILIPS; and
- deal with internal issues of CILIPS including constitutional issues;
The Committee meets 3 times each year on the same day as, but immediately before, the main Council meeting for a briefing and hold three or more meetings on other occasions as required. Committee comprises 11 members:
CILIPS Policy and Resources Committee 2012
- Professor Peter Reid (Chair)
- Gordon Anderson
- Jeanette Castle
- Thomas Connelly
- Sheila Miller
- Marilyn Milligan
- Roana Mourad
- Alan Reid
- Audrey Sutton
- Audrey Walker
Members can raise issues/matters of concern by asking the Director to place an item on the Council agenda. It is also possible to raise items of urgent business at Council under AOCB. Council agendas have a standing item "Branch and Group Issues" to allow representatives the opportunity to bring particular issues to the attention of Council. Branch representatives are also expected to provide a written report at each Council meeting on recent activities. Any member can raise questions on the Standing Committee Minute at Council.
Calendar of Council and Committee Meetings
- Policy and Resources and CILIPS Council Fri 18 Jan 2013 11am NLS George IV Bridge Edinburgh
- Policy and Resources Thu 7th March 2013 11am
- Policy and Resources and CILIPS Council Fri 10 May 2013
- Policy and Resources Thu 29 August 2013
- Policy and Resources and CILIPS Council Fri 6 September 2013
- Policy and Resources Tues 12 Nov 2013
The AGM is held in June during CILIPS Annual Conference and:
- receives and considers the CILIPS Annual Report;
- provides an opportunity for members to raise issues and questions about CILIPS on the agenda by advance notification.
Task and Finish Groups
These are ad hoc single item project groups drawn from Council and wider membership. From time to time Council may delegate certain deliberations or projects, especially those requiring more detailed discussion to a Task and Finish Group who report their conclusions to Council.
Council and Committee Links to CILIP
CILIP in Scotland Representative to CILIP Policy Forum
This representative is elected from Council membership to attend CILIP Policy Forum meetings and report back to Policy and Resources Committee and full Council.